About Life in Japan


To start studying abroad in Japan, you firstly need to arrange accommodation.
When you look for private housing, try to get as much information as you can from your coursemates or someone you know who lives nearby, etc., and be aware of the following things.

1. Kitasato University has three main campuses located in Shirokane, Sagamihara, and Towada.
   When you start looking for housing, please take it consideration which campuses you will be studying at.
2. When you search for accommodation, you should firstly think of how much rent you can afford and the size and condition of the housing.
3. There are significant differences in housing costs depending on the region.
   You need to pay rent monthly and others at the time of contracts such as security deposit and key money.
4. You are generally required to pay a holding deposit, key money, security deposit, and real estate agent's fee when you sign a contract.
   Please check carefully in advance.
5. Generally, rental houses such as apartments are not furnished, so you need to prepare them by yourself.
6. When contracting, you may be asked for a Japanese joint guarantor.
   This is also required even for Japanese people to rent a house.

If you are unable to find a guarantor, please take advantage of the following university guarantor system.
University Guarantor System for International Students
Under this system, if international students enrolled in our university have difficulty finding a joint guarantor on their own, Kitasato University will take on their guarantor for the duration of their academic period on the condition that they enroll the Comprehensive Compensation for Housing for International Students Studying in Japan  (Japan Educational Exchanges and Services).

However, please note that this system may not be available depending on the terms and conditions of the housing contract.

Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

[Application conditions]

1. Applicants must be an international student of Kitasato University or a person who is certain to enter Kitasato University.

2. Applicants must have the status of residence "Student".

3. Applicants must enter the “Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan” run by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services.


[Application flow]

1. Looking for a property

International StudentsLooking for a property at a real estate agency and offer to take advantage of the university guarantor system to the landlord or real estate agency and get their approval.


2. Taking out “Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan”

International studentsSubmitting documents that show the contents of the housing contract to Office of International Affairs.
UniversityTaking the procedure to buy “Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan” of each international student.

Instructing international students to pay their insurance premiums with the payment slip.

International studentsMaking a payment of insurance premiums.
UniversityConfirming of payment and issuing an insurance certificate.

3. Lease contract procedures
UniversitySign and seal the housing contract as a guarantor.
International studentsConcluding the lease contract and submit a copy of the contract to our university. 

[About Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan]

This insurance is comprised of overseas travel insurance (Liability insurance for foreign students/ Insurance for a disability resulting from an injury) and guarantors' protection fund (Guarantors' legal liability) to prepare against accident liability and mitigates the financial burden on guarantors' action as a joint guarantor for renting contracts.



1. Liability insurance for foreign students

If you (a foreign student) cause an injury to another person or destroy another person's property and are liable to pay compensation for damages due to an accident in your everyday life or an accident while using accommodation/residential facilities for studying overseas, your insurance claim will be paid.


2. Insurance for a disability resulting from an injury

An insurance claim will be paid to the insured if the insured suffers an injury in a traffic accident or other accident, such as while playing a sport and develops a disability within 180 days of the accident (including the date of the accident).


3. Guarantors' legal liability

An indemnity will be paid to a guarantor if the guarantor receives a claim from the landlord for the performance of guarantor obligations and makes a payment for rent or other expenses not paid by the international student (lessee).


[Coverage period]

The coverage period is either one or two years depending on the student's period of stay. Please select one according to your remaining period of stay. The starting date of the coverage period is the later of the following dates.


1. The day after you pay a premium and receive the insurance certificate.

2. The day your lease contract begins.



  1. 4,000 yen / year
Private Guarantor Company
The number of guarantor service and guarantor company is increasing lately, which allow you to rent an apartment without a joint guarantor.

Using private Guarantor Company

You can use the rental guarantor service of Global Trust Networks Co., Ltd instead of finding a joint guarantor.
You can use the service when you move into a student accommodation or student halls managed by National Students Information Center Co., LTD.(299KB)

Student Halls that Do Not Require a Guarantor

Student dormitory managed by Kyoritsu Maintenance Co., Ltd does not require a guarantor, and some dormitories they managing have private furnished rooms.
Tokyo International Exchange Center
The Tokyo International Exchange Center run by Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) has high-quality buildings that are designed taking into consideration barrier-free, saving energy and an information-oriented society while it is easy to get to the center of Tokyo and has state-of-the-art facilities.
In a court, it is the center of the residence halls, students and researchers from various countries are walking around and communicating with. The TIEC also holds some cultural exchange events in this open and international space. This space helps residents to communicate with other residents and have fun together.

For more information, please contact Office of International Affairs.

National Health Insurance

If you stay in Japan for more than 3 months, you need to enroll in the National Health Insurance.
Although you will need to pay insurance premiums, your medical expenses will be only 30%, and the remaining 70% is covered by this insurance.

Please check each city's website for the detail.
*You can change the language settings on the Towada City website.


You need to have a Japanese bank account to pay your tuition fees and receive scholarships.
After completing your resident registration, please open a bank account.
You will need your valid passport, residence card, student ID card, personal seal (not rubber stamps)
The required identification documents are different depending on the bank, so please check the website of your preferred bank.

Post Office

In addition to postal services, post offices also provide bank services, insurance services, and utility bill payment services.
Please check the post office for details as the handling services and business hours are different in each post office.
Japan Post Holdings

Postal Services

When you wish to send a letter or a parcel, you can send it from the post office.

Some post offices such as large ones in each district are open on holidays.
When you move within Japan, any mail sent to your old address will be forward to your new address for one year if you take the change of address procedure.

Savings Services

You can transfer money to countries around the world from the Japan Post Bank and post office handling international money transfer services.
Japan Post Bank and post offices handling foreign currency provide foreign currency exchange services.

Mobile Phones

The main mobile carriers in Japan are Docomo, Softbank, and au. You can purchase mobile phones or SIM cards in their shops. Companies provide different services and products and you can check the details of services on their website. There are other mobile carriers as well, so try to find the one your preference.

Contract method and required documents are different from mobile carrier to carrier, so please check it beforehand.
Normally, your passport, residence card, bankbook, etc. are needed.


To start using gas services, you will need to attend when opening the gas valve, so please contact the gas company to arrange the schedule.

Medical Treatment

If you are unwell and visit a hospital for medical treatment, be sure to take your health insurance card with you.
Clinic hours for most medical care providers in Japan are limited to weekdays and Saturday mornings. Designated hospitals provide medical treatments at night and on Sundays and national holidays. Please check the holiday/night clinic system for the community where you live.

About Japanese Culture

Seasons in Japan
In general, spring in Japan spans from March to May, summer is from June to August, autumn is from September to November, and winter lasts from December to February.

The seasons are relatively distinct in Japan, so please be careful of the seasons' change since weather changes might affect your health.
Finding a Job in Japan
If you wish to find a job in Japan after graduation, you might want to prepare from an early stage by collecting information, etc.
When you are away from your home country and living abroad, there may be things that make you feel uneasy and uncomfortable. When you have some trouble, please do not hesitate to talk to your coursemates, faculty, and staff or come to the office to talk about your problems.